Monday, December 20, 2010
Sea-Salted Caramel Chocolate Pecan Bars
Sea Salted Caramel Chocolate Pecan Bars
13 honey graham crackers
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup unsalted butter
4 tbsp heavy whipping cream
2 cups pecan pieces (If you know what's good for you, you'll only buy 'South Georgia Pecan Company" pecans.)
1 generous cup chocolate chips (I used milk, you can use which ever you prefer.)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spread pecans out over a baking sheet and give them a light toast in the oven until they become fragrant. 10 minutes will do.
3. Cover a jelly roll pan (it's a cookie sheet with sides for you non-Martha types..it MUST HAVE SIDES or you'll be cleaning out your oven for days) with parchment paper (if just makes life easier..and NO wax paper and parchment paper are not the same thing. Use PARCHMENT.). Lay out your graham crackers so they are covering the bottom of the pan.
4. In a pot melt together the brown sugar, butter, and whipping cream over medium-high heat until it starts to boil. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and vanilla.
5. Pour butter mixture over the graham crackers and spread it out as best as you can. It's okay if it doesn't cover it completely but try to get it close. It'll spread while baking and fill the rest.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes until it's nice an bubbly.
7. Remove from oven and immediately drop desired amount of chocolate chips all over the top. Let them sit and melt for about 3 minutes. With a butter knife, lightly smooth over the chocolate chips just enough to remove the "chocolate chip shape" and lightly spread the chocolate around.
8. Immediately top with coarse sea salt. Let them harden for at least an hour. You can put them in the fridge for a few minutes to harden the chocolate. Remove the sheet of bars with the parchment paper and cut into desired shapes/sizes with a large kitchen knife.