Monday, February 11, 2008
Chicken Pot Pie
My variation on Chicken Pot Pie. I figured if I made it with a regular crust- I wouldn't be able to save & reheat it. So I made the filling, threw some buttermilk biscuits on top and there ya have it. It was absolutely FANTASTIC! I didn't bake all the biscuits- so when I do want to reheat- I can just throw one in the oven and I'll have a fresh top!
Chicken Pot Pie
3 lg chicken breast- skinless with ribs
1 carton chicken broth
salt and pepper
frozen pea, corn, bean blend
canned biscuits (or pie shells if you want to be more traditional)
16oz can evaporated milk
1. Add chicken breast to large pot and add chicken broth to cover completely. Add a few dashes of oregano, salt, pepper, and a lot of poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil and cook until chicken is white.
2. Remove chicken breast from broth and set aside to cool.
3. Add diced carrots, potatoes, celery, and pea blend to broth and cook until tender.
4. Shred chicken breast and add back to vegetable mixture.
5. Mix evaporated milk with about 2 tbsp corn starch and add to pot to thicken. Add more corn starch if necessary.
6. Put in 9x13" glass dish or pie plate and top with uncooked biscuits.
7. Bake according to biscuit can directions until biscuits are golden brown.
For all my Southern readers- Fried Green Tomatoes! I prefer that my tomatoes are just the slightest bit pink- they're a little sweeter than using solid green tomatoes. I dunk the slices in egg and then dredge them in a flour, buttermilk corn meal, salt and pepper mixture. Fry em up, season with salt, and serve with ranch dressing!